Sunday, January 4, 2009

Maybe it wasn't the fruitcake after all

I felt lousy after Christmas. I felt utterly poisoned (as I previously posted.) Given that overindulgence is pretty common during the holidays, I chalked up my gastric distress to that.

In the wee hours of New Years Eve, unfortunately, all that "poison" came rolling out...violently. I hate nausea and vomiting more than just about any discomfort I've ever had. It didn't stop there. I became delirious. I didn't know where I was. I thought my wife, who was in the next room, had left for Hawai'i. That was all she needed to know to force me to go to urgent care.

Care was urgently given there, at least after I got done throwing up in the hallway, leaving a nice mess for the custodial staff. Because of the delirium, urgent care sent me to the big hospital, to the ER. I won't bore you with the details, but I was there for over 6 hours, 90% of that spent out in the lobby watching crap like "The View." Ugh. But I digress...

I'm better now. But I'm not right. Something is still off. I assumed I got food poisoning from a restaurant I ate at on the 30th. Since my stomach is still sour and it was for days before my little trip to the hospital, I'm wondering if there's something else at work. Have I worried myself into an ulcer? Do I have some sort of gastrointestinal disease? Do I just eat like garbage and, therefore, feel like garbage? My eating habits are not the best but I don't know how I could be making myself feel this bad.

Perhaps a return to my family doctor is in order.

No comments: