Sunday, March 22, 2009

The newest addition to our family











No, we didn't have a baby. The likelihood of that is pretty low. But I did get a new baby, in a manner of speaking.

I've been really wanting to learn to play bass guitar. I didn't want to have to buy a cheap electric bass and then have to buy an amp and all sorts of gear. Since I'll be playing around the house, I figured I'd try to learn on an acoustic. The local music store, Blue Fish Music in Plymouth, had exactly what I was looking for: an inexpensive, decent sounding, easy-to-play acoustic/electric. It's a Dean EABC.

It doesn't have the knock out sound of a true electric bass, but I figure I can move up to something more powerful after I get comfortable with the instrument. I only paid $150 (out the door) so if I lose interest down the road, I won't have lost a lot of money.

So far I'm loving it. My fingers are aching from "playing" for hours last night and again a bit this morning.

Without a doubt, besides reading and writing, I've needed another creative source/outlet and I think the bass will be that. I tried getting back into guitar, but I just don't have the passion and patience to re-teach myself.

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

Congrats on your new bass :)

If you ever do want to buy one I have a brand new one that I will give you a killer deal on, and an amp. :)

I'll be back to read more of your blog.

ourboy said...

Thanks Layla.

I already feel the limits a little of my bass, but, hey, I only know 2 or 3 songs anyway.

Thanks for the comment. I love your blog by the way. I linked it at my music blog site
www.soundofthepounding.wordpress.com