Thursday, April 16, 2009

Phoniness or respectful?

I've been reminded lately of my tendency to talk about the same issue one way with a certain group and another way with another group. When speaking to group A, I might be really harsh and express my feelings unequivocally. I might even come off as offensive to others with different opinions. But discussing that same topic with group B, I might dance around the issue a bit, suppress my feelings. I certainly lay off some of the stronger language or rhetoric.

Am I a phony? Perhaps. I'm willing to admit that I am flawed.

I'd like to think, though, that I'm being respectful of both groups A and B. It's not that my feelings or beliefs are different, I just present them in more delicate ways depending on the circumstances.

I feel conflicted by this tendency in me. I've done this all my life. Maybe it's a positive character trait and not a flaw, but part of me tells me that I'm dishonest.

Whatever the case may be, I'm not going to force a change. I'm not going to be that guy that people don't want coming around because he's an overbearing, opinionated bore.

No comments: