Saturday, August 2, 2008

I've got a fever and the only prescription is...MSU Spartans football!


Every year, at the end of July or beginning of August, I get so excited for Michigan State football. It's as if I have some sort of internal alarm clock that goes off telling me that it's almost time for football.

I was a season ticket holder for about 6 years, and have watched the Spartans faithfully since I graduated back in '93. Sadly, I got tired of the pain and frustration of watching them embarrass themselves.

After I gave up my season tickets two years ago, I hoped I would find another hobby or interest more fulfilling than watching the Spartans. I am less obsessed than I was a few years ago, but I can't give it up entirely. The famous line from Brokeback Mountain sums up best my feelings about MSU football:
I wish I knew how to quit you.
As unofficial summer quickly wanes, I'm feeling compelled to keep my Saturdays from Labor Day weekend to Thanksgiving completely clear. To get what I can out of the nice weather we're having, I'm trying to cram a full summer of stuff into the next three weekends. Once fall rolls around, I'm gonna want to be in front of the tube watching the fellas in Green and White.

Maybe you understand this type of passion. I know a lot of other Spartans fans feel the same way. If you want to get keyed up for the season, check out some of the videos on the video bar. They'll make you want to fast-forward through August.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice photo of the ill begotten, steroid induced rose bowl win

Anonymous said...

that was the year that george mira, jr. was actually suspended by the ncaa and couldn't play for miami in the championship game due to alleged steroid use. if msu players were on roids so were the wolverines, the trojans and every other team they played that "ill begotten."

i was in high school then. kids in school were taking roids for h.s. football.

ridiculous.