Wednesday, August 13, 2008

She's Back


Yesterday, my daughter brought home from the farm day camp the goat that we had over the July 4th weekend, Java. Man, has she changed.

She's obviously bigger, has longer horns, moves quicker, runs faster, is more fidgety and will hardly drink from a bottle. When she was here last, she would sit on my lap or curl up on one of our living room chairs, but now she is (almost) constantly scavaging for food, kind of like a human toddler that has to put everything in his mouth.

Java's still sweet; very hard not to like. But she's not a little baby anymore. My wife warned me -- because I joked about keeping her -- that Java wouldn't be a cute baby animal forever.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but it is kind of like an old friend, from whom you've grown apart, visiting for the evening. It's been nice to see her, but I'll be glad when she heads back to the farm.

No comments: