Sunday, February 1, 2009

Is there a football game today?

OK, I'll come clean. I know today is Super Bowl Sunday. I have to admit that if I hadn't stumbled across CNN or MSNBC the last few days, I wouldn't know who was playing in it.

I love college football. Most of my football watching is limited to following the Michigan State Spartans. I no longer have the time or desire to spend 15 hours every fall Saturday watching the other games. I have even less inclination to follow the NFL. In fact, I dislike pro football. To me, it's boring.

The Super Bowl is an event. The game is secondary. I'm neither interested in the game or the event. Lots of folks love to have Super Bowl parties at their homes, at bars, private clubs, etc. But I don't need a football game as an excuse to sit in front of the TV and overeat. I could do that on my own if I wanted.

I've been to many Super Bowl parties but I just find them...boring. I might be the only male in America that couldn't care less about this game. I guess I care enough about it to tell y'all why I don't care for it.

I won't check the score. I won't turn on the game. I won't try to find out who won. I probably won't even have on the news. I'll probably find out the game outcome while I'm standing in line at the local deli and a TV is blaring the news of the week.

For the rest of you, I hope you have fun. I know this is a big day. For me, though, I think I'm going to be reading or writing.

No comments: